Hacktoberfest - PR #1

    Hacktoberfest has started! This is the first week of the event, and I've found a Repository that maintains a list of algorithms and data structure implementations featuring many different types of languages. There were already around 60 contributors at that time. 

    I chose an Issue that was still open, which was to implement Bin-Sort in C#. I've never done C# coding, but I heard it was similar to Java, so I gave it a go. While I waited for my request to work on the issue to be accepted, I searched up on how to work with codes in C#. As expected, it was similar to Java where the functions and the Main() function are located under the same class scope, the only difference to me was some keywords and function names. 

    After my request to take on the issue was approved by the assignee, I started to work on the bucket sort function. The function takes in an array, as well as the size of the passed array as n, after determining if the array is empty, bins of the List<float> class array will be created which then each element of the List is filled with List with the size of n. The contents of the original array will then be filled into the empty bins, then sorted using a system function. Finally, the sorted bins will assign its values into the original array to be displayed in the correct order.

    I made a Pull Request after finishing the code, but in order for the code to be approved and merged. it had to first pass the format requirements. I made more commits to the pull request to change the file name into the correct format and deleted unnecessary code that may hinder the original repository's codes. The pull request was successfully merged after being approved by one of the organizers.

    I am really grateful for this experience because I had never handled C# code outside of school's work, as well as my first time working on a Bin-Sort algorithm. It was a fresh experience for me and I look forward to learning more about C# in the future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lab 2 Blog

Lab 4 Blog

Release 0.4